Saturday, June 12, 2004

Relationships

It's amazing how relationships change over time. One of the best things about me coming out here this summer is that I am getting to know my parents in a different way. Growing up they were just parents: Told me what to do, gave me advice, took care of me. Now they are friends. They still give advice and take care of me, but it is in a different way. They are no longer in control, but they trust that I will make wise decision's. Since my parents have moved to RI I have seen them for only weekends or a week at a time, and it is usually because of a special event. In these circumstances we are busy doing things or getting ready for something. These last two weeks I have just been a part of their everyday activities. I see how they live and work out here. It has been awesome talking to them and hanging out with them. It seems more at a friend level and it has helped me to understand them more.

I was talking with my mom tonight about growing up around family members. I have a large extended family-but I don't really know them and they do not know me. My mom said she felt bad that we (the kids) missed out on this. I then pointed out that I do have a family around me. Maybe they are not blood relatives but they know me better then most of my relatives and I feel as though they are my family.

And my favorite relationship..Four years ago today Chaz and I started dating.

Just a few thoughts I had tonight....hope it wasn't too mushy.

2 comments:

Suzanne Price said...

not mushy at all nicole. your family in michigan misses you a whole lot. i can't wait to see you this weekend.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see you either

;)

SEAN