Monday, August 07, 2006

I'm back from RI and I am missing it, but it is good to be home to see Chaz. I felt like I had been gone for a really long time.

While in RI my mom and I (and Lily too) took a trip to Mass. to see my grandma. We arrived around 3:30pm and planned to stay until 6ish...just a quick trip so she could meet the baby. While we were visiting there was a terrible storm. Very strong winds, hail. thunder and lightning...the works. They live out in the country in the woods. Tree branches fell all over there yard and some of my uncles wires to his radio towers fell down. The whole thing only lasted about 10 minutes. Then the power went out.

While trying to leave we discovered that a tree had fallen on some powerlines and was blocking the road. Which is the only way out....and the road is lined with old stone walls....so no way to drive around it. We thought that we would be delayed a few hours....but no, it was a lot longer.

With the power out it was hot...No AC. Luckily the temp had dropped from 99 to 75 during the storm, but now it was miserably humid. To add to all the fun we were having I discovered that I had run out of diapers. So there we were, stuck in the house and it was getting dark. My grandma lit some kerosene lamps and we began to make some homemade diapers. Meanwhile, without telling anyone, my aunt had walked to a gas station (2miles away) and bought me some diapers...but they only had size four. Big was better then none.

The power came back on around 1am and we left around 7am. It was an interesting experience and made me thankful that it is not the 1800's.

No comments: